About the 3D Design Studio
The 3D Design Studio provides free 3D printing, workshops, and 3D design & printer consultation for all library patrons. Whether you’re a total beginner working on an academic pursuit or a 3D pro looking to prototype and iterate, we are happy to help you bring your ideas to life. Our service is open to all patrons of the University Libraries, regardless of skill level or field of study. We make 3D printing work for you. Please visit our Rules and Policies page for more information.
- Monday – Thursday: 10:00 am to 9:00 pm
Friday: 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Saturday – Sunday: 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm
The 3D Design Studio includes:
- 12 FDM printers (fused deposition modeling)
- 2 resin SLA printers (stereolithography)
- Trained staff to help you
How To Print:
- Come to the studio in person with your file on a USB drive or other portable media. Please bring the file in one of the following formats:
- The student worker in the lab opens your design in Simplify3D and inspects it to ensure that your design prints successfully.
- Once you + the student worker are satisfied that the design is ready for printing, the student worker will upload the design to our system.
- At this time we will gather your email address to be used for notification when the print is complete.
- Once the print is complete, you will receive an email to come pick your print up.
or stop by Newman Library, Room 2010
Did You Know?
- The 3D Design Studio is also home to a slowly growing number of PLA Elephants!
- The studio prints enough plastic to make 826 footballs!
- The Library Studios offer workshops on 3D printing! Contact 3DStudio@vt.edu for more information.